EBS 282: Forms and Functions of the English Clause
Questions for Tutorial I
Identify the grammatical rank, class and function of the underlined constructions.
e.g. 1. He had paid his bill very casually.
(a) grammatical unit: group
(b) class: adverbial group
(c) function: Adjunct
- All the men wore dark suits.
- The bag on the floor is mine.
- They appointed James First Secretary.
- The women smoked the fish.
- Computer facilities are free of charge.
- The baby cries when hungry.
- The women who went on demonstration have been sacked.
- What he said was unethical.
- His sincerity can’t be denied.
- Benn’s strategy was shaped by his analysis of Britain’s economic problems and the political situation as he saw it.
- The man who refused to wash his hand with alcohol-based sanitizer caught covid-19.
- He had paid his bill very casually.
- Their subsequent affair climaxes in a showdown across the House divide.
- In the end, the choice became pretty clear.
- The fisherman has been casting his nets since morning.
- Our loyalty to the company can’t be denied.
- Visiting patients at this time is not allowed.
- The hunter has killed the largest
- The boy who scored the goals is my nephew.
- I don’t know how to answer your question.