By the end of this unit, the student would be able to:
- Explain the three classification of ICT resources.
- Use a diagram to show a search strategy for finding information on the internet.
- Develop a PowerPoint presentation.
- A classification of ICT resources is presented in three main areas:
- information resources (e.g., webgraphy and online databases),
- collaboration resources (e.g., blogs and wikis)
- learning resources (e.g., webquest, repositories of educational resources, podcasts and m-learning).
ICT Information Resources
- ICT resources provide additional information to address a topic from basic to advanced levels.
- Teachers are facing a new scenario which offers ample flexibility and availability of data sources and direct access to web resources.
- ICT and information resources can provide updated data in different media formats.
- Some ICT Information Resources will include the following: Webgraphy, virtual encyclopedias, online databases, web 2.0 tools (e.g., social bookmarks, YouTube and Slideshare) and visual search engines based on web 3.0 (semantic web)
ICT Collaboration Resources
- ICT resources for collaboration offer users the opportunity to participate in professional networks and co-create resources.
- Collaborative work allows the assessment of existing resources and their use in different contexts and then analyzes these resources to enable their creative use in collaborative learning contexts.
- Some collaborative ICT resources are mailing lists, groups and collaborative web 2.0 tools such as wikis and blogs. Webinar is a widely used tool for organizing online seminars.
ICT Learning Resources
- ICT resources for learning offer the possibility of acquiring knowledge, attitudes and procedures during the teaching process. ICT resources offer various forms of work with content and activities. An integrated design of learning resources is an important part of the instructional process that helps achieve the expected learning outcomes. Some ICT learning resources are repositories of educational resources, interactive tutorials, online quizzes, web 2.0 tools (e.g., eBooks, podcasts) and open online courses
Planning a Search Strategy
AND Operator (to combine two concepts)
the AND operator is used to combine two concepts e.g. livestock AND drought – results are in the combined area of the two circles
AND Operator (to combine three concepts)
OR Operator (info containing one or other term)
the OR is a means of combining synonyms e.g. beans OR legumes – in each circle’s area with the overlap in the middle having both search terms
NOT Operator (in one term or the other)
pig NOT guinea – in the shaded area; eliminates items in 2nd term (guinea) or both terms
Other Search Engine Functions
- Phrase or proximity searching: “…” or (…)
- allows you to search for an exact phrase, e.g. pests and (bean cultivation)
- Truncation/wildcards: *
- allow you to search alternative spellings and plurals
river* for river OR rivers
pesticide* for pesticide OR pesticides
program* for programme or program
- Alternate spellings: ?
- can be used to substitute for characters anywhere in a word
wom?n for woman or women
Africa AND (bean OR maize)
Africa AND (bean or maize) – in the shaded area
The (OR) operator retains items in each term and the AND operator is used to combine two concepts
What is PowerPoint?
- PowerPoint is a computer program that allows you to create and show slides to support a presentation. You can combine text, graphics and multi-media content to create professional presentations. As a presentation tool PowerPoint can be used to:
i.organize and structure your presentation;
ii.create a professional and consistent format;
iii.provide an illustrative backdrop for the content of your presentation;
iv.animate your slides to give them greater visual impact.
Planning the Presentation
- Know your audience
- Design and instructional mode and strategies
Common Presentation Mistakes
- Failing to master your topic
- Getting another person to prepare the presentation for you
- Stacking in too much information
- Choosing a poor design template or design theme
- Using unusual colour combination
- Poor font choices
- Easy to read fonts are Arial or Times New Roman
- Using extraneous photos and graphs
- Using too many slides in one presentation
- Using varying animations in one presentation
- Hardware glitches (Projector or computer fail you)
Creating a Presentation with PowerPoint
- Powerpoint Editing Tools
- Slide Master
- Add Text
- Add Picture
- Add Graphic
- Add Video
- Add Animation
- Create Navigation Hyperlinks
- Convert PowerPoint into Video
Downloading Multimedia From The Web
- Helper: http://en.savefrom.net/user.php?helper=1&download=setup&rmode=false
- Using Savefrom.net/ Savemedia/ Keepvid
- Go to Youtube.com
- Select the video file
- Start playing the file
- Copy the URL in YouTube address Bar
- Go to savefrom.net
- Paste the copied URL
- Press the Enter in savefrom.net text box
- Choose video format MPG 4/480p/720p
- Check download folder for the downloaded video file
- Roblyer, M. D. & Doering, A. H. (2010). Integrating Education Technology into Teaching. United States of America: Allyn & Bacon.
- Source: Source: Wendy Russell http://presentationsoft.about.com/od/presentationmistakes/tp/080722_presentation_mistakes.htm